Friday, February 7, 2014

Simplicity


Here I am in Africa, and I think it's safe to say I never want to come home.

I love the food, the boda rides (rather crazy motorcycle rides), the people, the weather, the dirt, the trickle of a shower, the animals, my team, jammed packed taxi rides (minus the barfing people next to me), late night talks,and the power outages.
You name it I think it has been experienced in the few short days I have been here, but I wouldn't change a second of my experience so far.
Don't get me wrong America is great but the culture, the people, the way of life...I can't get enough! I think my favorite part has been the change in pace.
 It seems as though American culture is becoming more concerned with instant gratification. In some ways it is helpful knowing that you can see the so called "fruits of your labors" a majority of the time. But in some ways I think we may feel entitled to having more, receiving more, and expecting more.
It's refreshing being here in Africa and living the  life of the people here. There is no hustle and bustle, comparison, or desire for more. It may not be very clean, it may not have the conveniences that i'm used to, I may stand out quite a bit...well a lot.
 But,  It's the way life should be. Simple. 
 So for now, I think I'll just stay here and enjoy it while I can
 and try to be...

Positively Contagious















2 comments:

  1. OK…you do need to come home sometime!!!! Love it that you love it…you're in your element…bet those kids think you're the best…I do!!
    Enjoy the clarity you find by freeing your mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have summarized, in a nutshell, one of the many positive aspects we found while serving a mission in Uganda: the simplicity of life! It is alluring....just get up everyday and love others!

    ReplyDelete